Things to Know About Hair Loss in Males
Hair loss is one of the most common problems that people worldwide are facing today. In simple words, hair fall is the loss of hair from the head or scalp. The rate of people suffering from this problem is high, especially in males. Indeed, both the genders face this problem, but men are much prone to this condition. A common question on the minds of many individuals is – how to prevent hair fall for male? There are different solutions available for preventing and treating hair loss, but then again, it is based on the condition. Certain type of treatment may be good for some people, while it may not suit others. Hence, the root cause of hair loss must be known in order to treat hair loss effectively.
Men’s Hair Fall Treatment:
We commonly refer to men’s hair loss problem as baldness. But the medical terminology for this word is Alopecia. It is described as a condition where a person loses either complete or partial hair on the scalp. At times, the hair fall can be in patches on the head or the whole body. According to the American Hair Loss Association, approximately 85% of men suffer thinning of hair when they age 50. However, there are also men who go through this condition just at a young age of 21. Besides, there is another common type of hair fall called “male pattern hair loss”, which is observed in most men at some point in their lives. If this condition prolongs, it may make the person go completely bald. So, how to stop hair fall immediately? Like mentioned above, it is vital to find out the actual cause of this problem to treat it.
Hair Fall in Males:
There are different causes for hair fall in men. This condition occurs in a maximum of men because of male pattern baldness, which is caused by reasons like male hormones and genetics. It is also said to be hereditary and involves a number of genes, which can originate from either of the parent. Apart from genes, the other causes for this problem would be the use of different medications, adequate amount of Vitamin A or protein deficiency. Besides, stress and major illness are also the main reasons for excess and sudden fall of hair, a condition known as telogen effluvium.
About Male Pattern Baldness:
Male pattern baldness is one of the most common types of hair fall problem faced by men as they age. People with this condition initially notice hair loss around the temples. Gradually, it spreads on to the top of head, sides and rear as well. After a while, a bald patch can be noticed in the middle of scalp. Both the patch on the top as well as thinning hair on sides will increase with time and merge together. But on the sides and back of the head, one can also notice a rim of hair. If this persists for a long time, it leads to total baldness in men, thus giving rise to androgenic alopecia. This condition occurs due to its association with androgen hormones, which control masculine characteristics.
Before knowing how to stop hair fall and grow new hair, let us know who are at much risk of getting male pattern baldness. Age is one of the major factor based on which, this problem takes place. However, this factor may vary from one person to the other. Some men in their mid thirties may experience this condition, while there are also males who notice it when they age close to 50. On the whole, most of the men may notice some or the other kind of hair falls when they reach 60s.
How Male Pattern Baldness is Caused?
Before moving on to the causes, let us first know a little about the hair. It is one of the important parts of our body whose development takes place in hair follicles. These follicles are described as minute pouches that are present under the surface of skin. It is from these follicles the hair sprouts and grows. It takes around three years for a hair to grow from these follicles. Based on the hair growth cycle, every grown hair sheds and a new hair starts growing in that place. The growth of hair, shedding and its replacement by new hair is a continuous cycle. However, hair follicles also tend to shrink and die mainly because of a hormone called DHT (dihydrotestosterone). It is a derivative of male’s hormone called testosterone. This one in specific is considered as one of the key causes of baldness in both men and women. However, women do not have high levels of this hormone, and hence, the severity of the problem is also less in females. Now, you might be wondering how to prevent hair fall for female caused due to this hormone. There are indeed natural and medical ways available for treating this problem.
1) Initially, the delicate or frail hair follicles on the scalp reduce in size than the normal.
2) Once the follicle starts to shrink, every new hair that sprouts from the follicle is thinner than the former one.
3) Usually it takes approximately three years for a hair to grow. But in this case, it is far lesser than the actual time before shedding.
4) As a result, an individual will have only a tinier hair follicle along with a thin remnant of hair, which hardly grows out.
Hair Loss Treatment for Men:
Getting bald is common in many men as part of aging process. For some, it is not a major problem, but there are also people who get upset and disturbed, especially if it occurs at a young age. Such individuals might think how to reduce hair fall and increase hair growth. Well, there are indeed solutions and treatments available for hair fall in men that can either control or completely stop the problem. Effective treatments also help in the re-growth of healthy hair.
Natural Hair Loss Treatments:
Take a look at the following points if you want to know how to stop hair fall immediately home remedies. Below listed are a few of the effective home remedies, which men can follow to control their hair fall problem without any medical help.
1) Getting rid of the habit of smoking indeed helps in overcoming the hair loss problem in men. As per several sources and studies, it has been noticed that there exists a link between smoking and hair loss. Quitting smoking not only aids in hair fall but also stops premature greying of hair.
2) Applying coconut oil to the scalp is one of the age old remedies. Give a gentle massage to your scalp using finger tips in circular motions. It is advisable to use luke warm oil for massage, at least twice a week. Many experts believe that massaging the scalp with this oil aids in protecting the hair, preserve the moisture and in supplying healthy nutrients to your scalp.
3) Switch to natural or herbal hair products instead of the chemical ones. In general, every person starts losing hair because of aging. This is a natural process. Hair and hair follicles tend to lose strength in such cases. In order to provide them sufficient nutrients, it is better to prefer natural products. The problem with artificial shampoos is they contain toxic chemicals, which can cause more harm than good to the hair.
4) Stress has a major impact in the lives of all individuals. Apart from causing other health issues, stress also leads to hair loss. In order to relax and gain control over mind, start practicing yoga, meditation, simple physical exercise or indulge in interesting activities that can calm your minds.
5) Recently, a lot is being heard about onion juice as a solution for the problem of hair fall in both men and women. According to various cases, a great change has been noticed with this remedy. Application of onion juice on the scalp with bald patches or thin hair is said to promote the growth of healthy new hair besides reducing hair shedding. Good results are noticed if this is followed twice or thrice a week.
6) Apart from coconut oil, there are also other herbal oils available for controlling the hair fall. Massaging the scalp with good herbal oil at least two times a week is suggestible. It is known to improve good circulation of blood to the scalp and helps in hair growth. Besides, it also aids to keep the hair nourished and healthy. Remember; reduce using hair dryers to dry your hair. Instead, do it naturally. Also, try to dry it gently using a soft towel instead of rubbing it roughly as this causes hair to fall.
Medical Hair Loss Treatments:
Most of them usually give preference to the home remedies to solve this problem. But even after no effect in how to stop hair loss and regrow hair naturally, they seek medical help. In several cases, loss of hair is neither a sign of any underlying health problem not it causes health risk.
It is a lot easier to prevent the hair fall than to repair it using different methods or treatments. But one must be careful when choosing any preventing method. It is always better to check with a doctor with you start using any preventive measure for hair fall. As a matter of fact, there are no ways that can treat male-pattern baldness permanently, but some treatments may help to slow it down.
1) Men suffering with male pattern baldness must first understand what the condition is all about. It is said to have close association with levels of free testosterone that turn into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Because of genetic characteristics, the DHT causes follicles to shrink and die eventually. Hence, on a biological basis, men can try to lower the intensity of testosterone in their body or restrain free testosterone form turning into DHT.
2) Certain types of foams and lotions for hair can actually help in the growth and development of healthy hair. These products work by hindering further loss of hair. Once the usage is stopped, the hair fall may start again from where it was left off when you began using the products.
3) Most of the land based and online pharmacies offer Minoxidil lotion, which is an over the counter rub-on treatment. It is advisable for individuals to opt for the high strength (5%) solution than the lower solution. It should be applied on that part of the scalp where there is major hair loss. However, it can have some side effects like irritation of the scalp, and irregular heart- beats in rare cases.